Monday, March 15, 2010

Seed Starting - Getting Ready for This Year's Vegetable Garden


Every year, I think I am going to try to start some of my vegetable plants from seed.  Most years, I never get around to it.  Planning 8-12 weeks in advance means thinking about gardening in the middle of winter, while there is often still snow on the ground.  Usually, I don't get past the thinking stage.

Well this year, perhaps because because I have less time for projects/hobbies, I made it happen.  Yes, you read that right, life with a 19 month old means I have less time, but somehow I sometimes actually get more done than I did in prior years.  Call it better planning, an increased drive for autonomy, call it whatever you want.  All I know is that when you don't have much time, sometimes you get more efficient about using the time that you do have. 

Now, have I spent one minute organizing the basement, the garage, or the mountains of paperwork that also stress me out?  Nope, somehow those projects just never make it to the top of my priority list.

This year, the stars were in alignment, I had the materials I needed, and I ended up making the time to get it done.  I broke up the project of starting seeds in to three mini-projects. 

One day, I organized my pots and containers that would hold them.  And then Molly woke up from her nap. 

Another day, I filled up the pots with seed starting mix, watered them and brought them upstairs to a sunny, south-facing window in our extra bedroom.  And then Molly woke up from her nap.

Well today, during what I call my "Mom's Morning Off," when Molly goes to daycare in the morning and I don't have to leave for work until noon, I finished the job by actually planting the seeds.  I do love my Monday mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment