Monday, March 15, 2010

My Own Giftable Arrangement

Ever heard of that company that makes beautiful bouquets out of fresh fruit?  Well, I have, and they're one of my favorite gifts to give and receive.  They don't wilt like flowers (though don't get me wrong, I still love flowers!), and yet they are a treat that doesn't happen to add inches to your waistline like cookies, cake or candy.

Over the weekend, I had planned to pick up one of these bouquets to give to a friend's daughter who just had knee surgery.  Then, it occurred to me... maybe I could make it myself.  I mean, really, how hard could it be to skewer some fruit and turn it into a masterpiece? 

Well, here it is, so you tell me.


Definitely not bad for a first attempt.  A little chaotic looking, but definitely fun, unique and delicious.

The recipient's family really likes pineapple, so I decided to start with that for an edible, yet attractive base.  Then I washed up some strawberries, grapes, raspberries and blackberries.  I also peeled and sliced the rest of the pineapple and used a cookie cutter to make heart shapes (yes, that's what those shapes are).  Then I went to work with the skewers until it seemed like there was enough fruit.

In the end, I spent a fraction of the price I would have paid for the professional version, yet was able to use more exciting fruit like raspberries and blackberries, and we got to eat the leftover fruit!  Which was good, since, while I was making the bouquet, I had to constantly fend off Molly, who must have eaten her weight in fruit yesterday.  I guess there are worse foods to overindulge on.

No comments:

Post a Comment