Thursday, December 3, 2009

More Cooking Ahead - Bread and Pork Roasts


Today I finally got to the grain-grinding and bread prep. portion of my "freezer cooking" adventure.  I like to grind enough flour for at least 6 loaves of bread and then measure out the whole wheat and white flour into boxes for the freezer.  Then, I just have to throw the wet ingredients into the bread machine along with the box of flour and yeast, and away we go. 

For some reason, just having the flour already measured out makes the task of making bread so much less daunting!  I am really not a baker, actually.  That's why I have the bread machine do my dirty work and I just take the lovely dough, bake it in the oven and call it my own homemade bread.  Boy is it good!  Especially with freshly ground flour, oh my goodness.

I also experimented with grinding popcorn into cornmeal today.  I haven't made anything with it, but I did pop it in my freezer to keep it fresh until I do use it.  I'm thinking of making some corn muffins.  How cool is freshly ground cornmeal??  I'm looking for a good cornbread/corn muffin recipe that I can use to make homemade mixes from.  I would prefer more of a savory taste than sweet, and not too much milk/sour cream, etc since my husband tries to stay away from large amounts of dairy.  Now that I'm grinding cornmeal, I will probably be experimenting with corn bread recipes in the weeks to come.  If you have a great recipe, please share! 

The one other quickie freezer meal-making I did was a few pork loin roasts.  The huge ones were on sale at our high-end grocery store, so I bought one and split it into three big roasts, about 3 lbs each.  They worked out to be less than $5 each, which is pretty good considering each will provide at least 6 meals but probably more for us.  I seasoned one of the roasts with a new dijon marinade, and the others I left plain.  I've got a maple glazed pork roast recipe I've done a couple times that is fabulous.  Hopefully this will give us a little variety from the 35 lbs of chicken I just added to our freezer two days ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment